Common Questions About Divorce Settlements

How soon would I have to wait for spousal support once divorce papers are filed ? I have been married 25 yrs and my husband makes at least $60,000 more than me.

A. The process involves more than just analysis of length of the marriage, who makes more and by how much. Spousal Support is based on your financial need. I would suggest you see a family law attorney to analyze your specific situation. The motion for temporary orders (orders to be in effect while the divorce is pending) can be scheduled and heard as soon as the court’s schedule, usually – between 1 and 2 months after the filing of the case. I hope this helps and good luck!

Massachusetts Resources for Divorce Law

Massachusetts Court System

Massachusetts Appeal Court


Note: The links above are provided solely as a courtesy to the visitors of this website. By clicking on any of the links below, you acknowledge that the Attorney Elena Tsizer does not necessarily endorse these websites or any websites affiliated with or linked to those listed below.